Wearyman

Losing my hair and losing my mind in Western New York

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New Addition

I nearly forgot to mention the new addition to my little family. We recently went down to our local SPCA and picked up a new kitten! He's a beautiful blue with an absolutely wonderful temperment.

I wanted to name him Schrodinger, but my wife insisted that nobody would "get" that name. So we settled on Merlin. Overused, yes, but inoffensive. Here's a picture:


Isn't he cute? We've actually had him for a couple months now, so he's a bit bigger than in the picture above. He still looks just as cute though.

He's been a great addition to our family, and we really think he's helping our kids. They both are much calmer around him and seem better behaved when he's resting near them. At first we were a little worried that they might be too rough with him, but things have worked out quite well.

We've decided against having him declawed. He rarely uses his claws (except to climb me, of course.) and we've been hearing that declawing them can be too traumatic and can change thier personality for the worse. With two Autistic kids we need his temperment as it is now.

He is fixed, of course. The SPCA does this as soon as they are old enough. You can't get one from the SPCA that isn't spayed or neutered, not that I wouldn't have that done anyway.

It's nice having a pet other than fish in the house. We were originally going to get a dog, but my daughter is scared to death of them, regardless of size, so a dog was out of the question. I guess we are a cat family.

Just don't ask me to walk him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home