Wearyman

Losing my hair and losing my mind in Western New York

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Game Over

Well kiddies, it's official. Time Warner and Comcast have bought Adelphia.

In an e-mail sent out to employees and in a press release sent out today, Adelphia's Board of Directors accounced that it has accepted a $17 billion offer from Time Warner and Comcast to buy out Adelphia. This will include nearly all of Adelphia's assets in the 31 states where they have service.

What does this mean to me? Well, it means that in about 6 months to a year I may very well be out of work. Of course, this sale has yet to be approved by the Bankruptcy Courts, and there are some objections from a few of the more powerful shareholders, but I think it's safe to say that it's pretty much all over but the shouting at this point.

Now, according to the e-mail, part of the deal was that many of us would be offered work at both Time Warner and Comcast. This means that I may NOT lose my job, I would just start answering the phones differently. It may also mean new opportunities for myself and others, and job losses for many too.

What does this mean for our customers? Well, they will be sending thier bill to a new location, and that's pretty much it. Some of the service offerings may change, and some things will cost more, some less. In the end I doubt our customers will really notice all that much. Adelphia will simply slip into history, and in 10 years few if any will remember it ever existed.

As far as WHERE they will be sending thier bill, here is how the systems will be divvied up;

Time Warner will be getting Maine, New York State, California (except Mendocino), North and South Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Erie, Coudersport, Emporium, and Port Alleghany PA, Richards, Boydton and Chase City Virginia, Williamstown MA, and the Western Region, excluding Colorado Springs and Cowlitz City WA.

Comcast will be getting New England (except Maine and Williamstown MA) Florida, Virginia (Except Richlands, Boydton and Chase City), Pennsylvania (Except Erie, Coudersport, Emporium and Port Allegheny), Colorado Springs, Maryland, West Virginia (Except Upshur and Tyler Counties), Georgia, Tennessee, Cowlitz County WA, and Mendocino CA.

As far as Employees go, which groups will be going to which company is still private information and I really can't talk about that. But the system info is publicly available on the Internet, so I felt it was safe to mention.

I'm sure you will be hearing more and more about this in the coming days, and likely Adelphia, Time Warner, and Comcast will be sending out lots of information in the coming weeks and months regarding the transition to all of thier current and new subscribers. We Employees will also likely be getting more info, some of which I will be able to talk about, some which I will have to stay mum on, I will bring you the info that's appropriate when I have it, as well as talking about other things that are important to me as well.

I would like wish all the my co-workers the very best of luck in the coming year, we worked hard at making Adelphia a great company, and can take pride in all that we've accomplished. I'm sure that will go a long way towards us continuing on with the our new Employers. But just in case, make sure you have those resumes polished. You might need them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home